Our main assignment was to do a 50-100fr bouncing ball that felt like a basketball. Seems basic enough, but it was a lot harder than you'd think! The arcs are easy enough to figure out--the real challenge is the timing and spacing. Here's what I got:
I learned a great deal doing this shot (and I'm sure I'll learn a lot more when Royce takes a swing at it!). An interesting thing was having the wall there.
Originally, my ball was unobstructed, but I was forcing the stop in order to keep the ball in the shot. There was this really nice post from a capus mentor that helped a lot. A common mistake--my mistake-- is to have a nice feeling off the start, but then to force a feeling that the mass of the ball changes dramatically. You lead the audience on to accept that the ball is a certain weight, but after a couple of bounces, it seems to get WAY heavier. Here was my first attempt:
After looking into this problem, I decided to add a wall to solve the issue of keeping the ball in the shot. When the ball hits the wall, I treated it as if the wall became the floor (when looking at the horizontal translation curves in the Graph Editor). It makes no sense for the ball to slow down before hitting the wall, so I made sure to break the tangents and bring them close together. However, when the ball hits, it is going downward. The friction of the wall is directed upwards to oppose the motion of the ball. So, instead of keeping the vertical speed of the ball the same, I lowered it just a tiny bit! I also took away from the horizontal speed after hitting the wall. Here's my final product:
Lastly, our Posing assignment this week was excitement:
Hole in one! I think his head and eyeline could be better, but let's see what Royce thinks!