Friday, October 22, 2010

Week 4: Heavy and Light balls (and week3 revisions)

Just finished my assignments and I'm about to pass out! This week was just awesome. Shawn Kelly held a q/a session and based on his 2 hour talk with us (yeah, he went an hour overtime) I've concluded that this is gonna be the funnest job in the world!

Our focus was specifically on timing and spacing for Week 4. Carlos Baena gave a great lecture on different ways to approach timing and how much it makes a difference in your shot. I learned a truck load working on this assignment. We had to animate two balls that contrast in weight. I decided to make them interact in a fun way, and it was quite a challenge. I spent so much time on the graph editor trying to clean out the spacing and make it feel natural.

Royce gave a great Q/A. He took us through an approach to animating bouncing balls and how to tackle the curves to clean up the shot, and what details to pay attention to.


Because we don't yet have a squash channel on the ball rig, and Royce doesn't want us to use one, I lowered the beach ball into the ground and forced the balls into each other, or walls, on impact for one frame to give the feeling of squashing.

WEEK 3 REVISION:

I've never had a teacher that goes into so much detail when it comes to correcting, critiquing, and guiding me to push my animation to be the best it can be.  Even this week he admits he was very picky, but our class just loves that. He's got the Pixar touch !  I'm really learning to look at my shots in a different way, and how important small details are. Maybe you don't see those extra two frames, but you sure feel them! In the end, you'll get that extra "oumf" factor.
Here's my corrected basketball:



And for my pose, Royce suggested I be less forceful with the silhouette, because I sacrifice a lot of force in the pose by doing so. As long as the pose remains clear. The body was a bit off balance, so I rotated the spine to the screen-right a bit. I pushed the left arm in to give a stronger "Yes!" feeling, and I straightened out the arm holding the club to give more power, among other changes.


No comments:

Post a Comment